Saturday, May 29

Aloha from Honolulu!

Tonight is my last night in Honolulu. Tomorrow I am leaving for Saipan. I will certainly miss Oahu and its warm locals!

I'll summarize here a bit about my visit to Hawai'i. Upon landing, I was greeted by Judy Coryell and got my first lovely lei in Oahu. Then, I found myself going to a beach and a local eatery, Rainbow Drive-In (HIGHLY recommended if you happen to be in Oahu!), with Gisella, Austin (both are Deaf locals), and Nicolas (a Deaf visitor from France). I stayed at Austin's place (mahalo so much, Austin, for opening up your place for me!). Next day, on Thursday, since Gisella and Austin were busy with school/work, Nicolas and I embarked upon Diamond's Head on our own to grab the opportunity to have a truly amazing view of Oahu. After that, I met Roy Balantac for the first time when he and Judy and I had a meeting to discuss about Saipan so I could get a better idea of what I am getting myself into. It is beginning to finally hit me that I am actually going to Saipan and work with Deaf kids there! Lots more questions popped in my mind; but I will find answers when I arrive there and see it for myself. That night, Austin, Nicolas, Bryce (another Deaf local), and I went to check out free Hula show then off to BW3 restaurant to meet up with two other Deaf locals, Hank, and Jake. I had blast time chatting with them all!

Next day, on Friday, Austin, Nicolas, Jake, Bryce, and I went to North Shore to go to Waimea Bay to chill a bit at beach. On way there, we drove past the site where TV show LOST was filmed at. Sweet! At Waimea Bay, there is a cliff where bunch of people climbed it and jumped off the cliff into ocean. I jumped off the cliff, but not without having my heart stop for a second! After that, we went on a stunningly beautiful hike (surrounded by colorful flowers, very green big leaves and plants, and peacocks wandering around- yes, peacocks!) to Waimea Waterfall. I went for a little swim in small pond and stood beneath the waterfall, having waterfall pouring on my head. Amazing! Then we went to L & L for dinner, another awesome local restaurant.

In whole, it was a very wonderful experience staying in Oahu. It is interesting to see the similarities and differences between Oahu and Maui (which I've visited last winter). I will certainly miss Oahu- my stay was too brief indeed (only 3 nights). Someday I will and must come back to Oahu and check out more things and meet more Deaf locals!

But, I can't wait to visit another new place to officially start my internship: Saipan!

2 comments:

  1. Carlisle - sounds like you had a great visit to Honolulu. Have fun meeting your new colleagues and friends in Saipan! Dad :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. aweeesssomee, now u got the taste of OAHU lifestyle- whattaya think of oahu since u got a spoonful of maui last winter- :) looking forward to hear your saipan (not spain, ha) journey :) xoxox- mis

    ReplyDelete