Welcome to my blog!
To those who do not know, "Hafa Adai" means "Hello" in the Chamorro language. Chamorro is the language of the indigenous people of the Northern Mariana islands and Guam.
My blog will be all about my experience in Saipan (part of the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, or CNMI) for a 10-week Summer 2010 internship. I will be working with both Deaf and hearing communities in Saipan along with Roy Balantac, a teacher from Kapi'olani Community College in Hawai'i. Roy and I will work at Kagman High School and Oleai Elementary School. We will provide ASL support for teachers, parents, and community members. We will become role models for Deaf people, serve as bilingual language models (ASL and English) for deaf students, their teachers, interpreters, families and others, and spread awareness about Deaf people. In turn, I expect to learn a lot about the beautiful culture and people of the CNMI!
I will be leaving this Wednesday to stop by Hawai'i then off to Saipan on the Memorial Day weekend. I can't wait!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

way cool. bookmarked :D
ReplyDeletehave so much fun, former swimmate, and here's to hoping that you'll continually update this blog with fantastic words and pictures.
:) Tyler
Carlisle,
ReplyDeleteHave a wonderful summer in Saipan. I'm sure it will be a rewarding experience for you. Soak it all in! I will look forward to reading your blog.
Lynn Marubashi
YAYYY!!! Can't wait to read more stories about your adventures! I bet you will ENJOY it more than you imagined and that you will encounter some things that you would never think it would happen to you...
ReplyDeleteGood luck and live it!
Mwahssss
Elisy, (your European counterpart for the summer hehe)
Wonderful Carlisle .
ReplyDeleteI am so excited for you and look forward to hearing about your amazing experiences .
Love and hugs , GMA