Right after my last blog post, I got a really bad cold. I did recover, but still got this cough for last 4 weeks. (I know, you must say I am crazy for actually putting up with coughing and coughing for 4 weeks, but like I said, time really flew by way too quickly) Doc said it might be a small bronchitis. So, I have meds that should help my coughing to improve by end of the week. *cross fingers* my cough does get better because if it doesn't, it might means I have TB. Joy!
Roy and I had a week of 'vacation' after Oleai Elementary school ended its school year. However, it did not mean vacation for us. We went to a student's home to teach two families of Deaf students the basic signs. It was really fun watching families learning so much basic signs that could get them leaps ahead in communicating with their Deaf family members. I realized that's the beauty of ASL- you could know only a couple of signs yet still be able to tell stories and jokes! Below is picture of us all- I was one who took this picture.
Last weekend, I decided to sign myself up for a swim competition on Saturday. It meant swimming 2.7k from a tiny island called Managaha to Saipan. There were about 25 swimmers involved. I thought I will do okok since I haven't had a decent swim practice since Gallaudet swim team ended its season in last February and the fact that I have coughing. However I surprised myself by placing 7th. I think what really helped me was knowing that there's sharks lurking around hidden in deep blue ocean! This is a link to the www with a newspaper article about the swim competition. http://www.saipantribune.com/newsstory.aspx?newsID=100905&cat=2
After successfully escaping from Managaha, on Sunday, Rudy, Roy, and I went on a tour around southern of Saipan to check out couple of old Japanese jail, bunker, and tank, and stopping by two beaches as well to wade in cool water.
Old Japanese bunker, from outside and inside.
Old Japanese tank
This week, Roy and I are teaching teachers, staff, family members of Deaf, and others ASL for the ASL classes. So far, it is really enjoyable and fun. ASL classes will continue until my 8th week of internship. Next week, summer school for the Deaf kids will begin, which means my days will be crammed with summer school in the morning and ASL classes in the evening. I am really looking forward to seeing Deaf kids again!
That's all for now. Bye! :D








Cool photos, Carlisle! Feel better soon. xoxoxo Mom
ReplyDelete